Veterans Stadium liberty bell outside of Citizens Bank Park, home of the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Philadelphia Phillies have been playing their home games at Citizens Bank Park since 2004. However, the Phillies were recently reunited with a famous piece of Veterans Stadium history last week when they placed the old Veterans Stadium liberty bell outside of Citizens Bank Park. Fans will be able to view the liberty bell near 11st Street and Pattison Avenue entrance and the Pass and Stow area.

The Pass and Stow area has great significance as it is named after John Pass and John Stow who collectively re-cast the original liberty bell in the year 1753. The original liberty bell is located across from Independence Hall on Chestnut Street in downtown Philadelphia. The Pass and Stow area will replace McFadden’s and will feature a beer garden and eccentric food options for baseball fans.

The Veterans Stadium liberty bell originally stood atop the 700 level of the stadium and is 19-feet in height, weighs more than 5,000 lbs., and features more than 300 light bulbs. The liberty bell was the second bell used at Veterans Stadium and debuted during the 1983 MLB season. The current liberty bell used inside Citizens Bank Park is located in right center field and rings every time a Philadelphia Phillies player hits a home run.

The Veterans Stadium liberty bell has been refurbished and looks brand new. The Philadelphia Phillies paid $9K for the item. Veterans Stadium was home to the Philadelphia Phillies from 1971 until 2003 and the NFL’s Philadelphia Eagles from 1971 until 2002. “The Vet” was long considered one of the most hostile stadiums in professional sports for both visiting players and visiting fans.

 

Related Articles